Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This recipe is from an article about Sukkot in the Crown Heights, Brooklyn area.
Make and share this Tfina Pkaila (Tunisian Stew) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb beef short rib (flanken-cut)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- 5 cups beef stock
- 6 ounces spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can white kidney beans, rinsed drained
- cooked couscous, for serving
- Heat oil in a 6-qt saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until soft (5 minutes). Using a slotted spoon, transfer onions to a bowl.
- Stir in chuck, cumin, pepper, cilantro, parsley, salt, paprika, cinnamon, and egg. Form mixture into about forty very small balls.
- Return saucepan and oil to medium-high heat. Add meatballs and cook, turning, until browned all over (4 minutes). Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Return saucepan to medium-high heat and add oil. Season ribs with salt and pepper. Working in batches, add ribs, and cook, turning, until browned on all sides (8 minutes). Transfer ribs to a plate and set aside.
- Add garlic and onions to pan, and cook, stirring, until lightly caramelized (5 minutes). Return ribs to pan along with stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until beef is just tender (1 hour).
- Add meatballs and cook until tender (8 minutes). Add spinach and beans and cook until spinach and beans are tender (4 minutes). Serve over cooked couscous.