Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Posted for ZWT 6 from www.jta.org
Make and share this Tfaia - Tunisian Chicken Soup With Eggs recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large stewing chicken
- 1 lemon, halved
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 turnips, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 leeks, cleaned and chopped
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon mint (optional)
- Remove excess fat from chicken pieces, then rinse. Rub each piece with lemon halves and sprinkle with salt. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Put chicken in a large stockpot and add cold water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and skim the scum from broth. Simmer gently for 30 minutes. Add the vegetables, saffron and bouquet garni. Cook for about 2 hours. Using a skimmer, remove the solids and discard.
- Pour the broth through a sieve lined with wet cheesecloth into a large bowl. Chill the stock, uncovered, in an ice bath in the sink until cold. Spoon off fat. Pour the broth into a pot, bring to a boil, and cook at a low boil, skimming if needed, until reduced and flavorful. Add pepper and cinnamon.
- Beat the eggs with the lemon juice and stir into the soup. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Garnish the soup with the mint.