Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
As a low-fat chef I am always looking for desserts which are interesting and flavorful without lots of butter. :) Here tart apples are candied in a syrup scented with cinnamon and orange blossom water, two flavors typical of North African cuisine. I have not tried this one but it looks scrumptious. (T'fah is the Arabic word for apple.)
- 8 tart apples, peeled cored and sliced in 8-10 wedges
- 3 lemons
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 -4 tablespoons orange blossom water
- Begin by removing the yellow part of the lemon peel from the lemons and cutting it into small strips.
- Juice the lemons and reserve 1/2 cup for later use.
- Peel and core apples, cutting into 8 - 10 wedges depending on the size of your apples.
- Place sugar, water, and cinnamon in a large saucepan and bring to a low boil.
- Once the mixture boils, add the apples, lemon rind, lemon juice and orange blossom water to the pot. (I find orange blossom water to be quite potent and would start with the lower amount and add more to suit personal taste.)
- Cook until the mixture is dry and the apples and lemon rind are tender.
- Remove from heat and allow the dessert to cool.
- Serve at room temperature.
This was a bit more than OK. Like others mine never reduced to dry so I ate it like rita's picture with yogurt. I used royal gala apples which are not tart therefore I reduced the dark brown sugar I used, by half. I used the lesser amount of orange blossom water though I know I love it's flavour, I guess I should have added a bit more as I couldn't detect it under the dominant lemon peel taste, I suggest more sugar for that reason whether your apples are tart or not. I won't make this again.
Excellent guilt free spicy apples. Thanks
This is very good and low fat/low calories but I had some problems with cooking the applies - it never reduced to dry - after 1 1/2 hours of cooking I just let it cool, draining off the excess liquid. I topped the apples with yogurt for a great dessert. I also think this will be a great breakfast topped with yogurt. Thanks for sharing!