Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is an excellent recipe for filling tostados, tacos or burritos. Originally from a September 1989 issue of Bon Appetitthat that featured a "Do It Yourself Tostada Party" in the Cooking for Friends section. It can be made 2 days ahead, covered and refrigerated and rewarmed before serving.Stewing beef can also be substituted for the pork if you prefer.
Top Review by thedixongang
This was tasty! I served it over tostadas with mushrooms, onions & bell peppers I cooked alongside the pork. It makes a nice "sauce" as well--not sure the way I served it was authentic, but it was great. A crowd pleaser! Thank you!
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, minced (with seeds)
- 2 lbs pork shoulder, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansstewed tomatoes
- 2 cups beef stock or 2 cups canned low sodium beef broth
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in heavy Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion and jalapeno and cook until soft, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add pork and stir until brown on all sides, about 7 minutes.
- Mix in chile powder and next 6 ingredients (cumin through allspice) and cook 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and tomato paste and cook 3 minutes.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients, except cilantro; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Uncover and simmer until pork is tender and shreds easily, about 1 hour.
- Remove pork from liquid using slotted spoon and set aside.
- Increase heat to medium and boil cooking liquid until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 35 minutes.
- Shred pork using fingers; mix into sauce.
- (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate;rewarm over medium-low heat, stirring frequently.).
- Spoon into serving bowl and sprinkle with cilantro.