Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This is from Taste of Home. I served this chili a few years ago one Sunday after church and everyone raved over it.
- 8 slices bacon, strips diced
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- stewed tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained. (I prefer chili beans myself)
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- In skillet, cook bacon until crisp.
- Remove to paper towel to drain.
- Brown beef in the drippings over medium heat.
- Transfer to a 5 quart slow cooker.
- Add bacon and remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until the meat is tender, stirring occasionally.
I thought this was good, but my husband actually prefers chili with ground beef instead of beef cubes. I may make it again, but it won't be our "standard chili recipe."
This recipe is fabulous and I love the addition of the carrots.I only add half the cooked bacon to the crock pot and reserve the other half as a garnish to sprinkle on top of each bowl , so it stays crunchy -yum!
Wow! This was delicious! It was such a great change of pace to have the stew meat instead of the same old ground beef. I did have to add about 3 times as much chili powder for my chili loving DH, but the rest is the same. Even picky DH loved this! We topped it with some shredded cheddar cheese and served with some warm tortillas. I feel like I'm living in San Antonio again. Made and Reviewed for TexMex Tag - Thanks! :)