Recipe by Bert's Kitchen Witch
This recipe originally came to me from my good friend, and Ex-MIL, Barbara Carroll. It is similar to "Texas Armadillo Eggs", but uses boiled eggs in place of the stuffed Jalapeños. WARNING* These are addictive to Egg-Lovers!
Top Review by ~Nimz~
These are awesome and as indicated very addicting. Even if you are not an egg lover you will love these. Crunchy, spicy and just down right wonderful. Love this one BKW. Went right into my 2007 Favorite Cookbook.
- 18 small eggs (Boiled and Peeled)
- 3⁄4 lb monterey jack pepper cheese (grated)
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork breakfast sausage (Use the Hot if you want them a little spicy)
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk biscuit mix (Bisquick is best)
- 1 (6 ounce) box Shake-n-Bake (Pork kind)
- 3 eggs (beaten)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Lightly spray a large baking pan with cooking spray.
- Mix together the sausage (raw) and grated pepper Jack cheese.
- Add biscuit mix in, 1/2 cup at a time, until all is thoroughly mixed.
- This will make a very stiff dough, and should now be kneaded for about 3 minutes.
- Pinch off pieces of the dough, almost the size of the eggs, and flatten out the piece into a "pancake", about 1/4 inch thick.
- Place one boiled, peeled egg in the center of each "pancake" and roll the dough around each egg to cover it all the way around evenly.
- Seal any edges together with your fingers.
- Continue this until all of the eggs are covered in the dough.
- Place the box of Shake' N Bake into a large shallow dish.
- Crack the 3 additional raw eggs into a bowl; season with a pinch of salt and black pepper and beat.
- Roll each egg in the Shake' N Bake, then in the egg wash, and back again through the Shake 'N Bake.
- Lay each egg on the prepared baking sheet as it is done.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes.
- The "Woodpecker Eggs" will seem soft to the touch when they first come out of the oven, but as they cool, they will "crust" nicely.