Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I just came across this one but wish I had found it in July! Sounds like a perfect dessert for a picnic or backyard grill out! I can't wait until watermelon is back in season here!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) packagemixed-fruit gelatin
- 1 1⁄3 cups seedless watermelon, cubes
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup watermelon juice
- For cake: In a large bowol, mix all ingredients.
- Pour into a bundt pan and bake for 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in cake comes out clean.
- When cool, frost with the Watermelon Icing.
- For icing: In a bowl, mix cream cheese and butter until fluffy.
- Add confectioners sugar and watermelon juice; stir until blended.
Delicious and a huge hit! the consistency is a little different than a boxed cake. I added blakc gel "seeds" to the top to make it look even better! I also used watermelon jello. And I added a little food coloring to the frosting to get the desired colors.
I ended up making this twice thinking the first time I did something wrong. The first time I didn't grease or flour my Bundt pan and most of the cake ended up sticking to the pan. The second time the cake came out of the pan, but the outside was kind of crusty and hard (baked at 350 for 35 min) and the cooked watermelon was rubbery. The icing on the other hand was incredible would like to try it again on some other baked goodies.
Great tasting cake,I used fruit fiesta jello but next time I'll use watermelon. Oven temp wasn't indicated so I baked at 350F.I also greased the bundt pan and let the cake cool for 10 mins and removed cake from the pan. I loved that frosting,it had a nice pink tint and had just the right amount of watermelon flavor.