Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another vegetarian delightful soup from the Moosewood restaurant.
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small fresh chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped and undrained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained or 1 1⁄2 cups cooked black-eyed peas
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans or 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans or 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans or 1 1⁄2 cups cooked beans
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- crushed tortilla chips
- sour cream (optional)
- In a soup pot, combine the onions and garlic with the oil and salt.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for 8-10 minutes, or until the onions are soft and translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add the celery, bell peppers, chile, oregano, thyme, cumin, and black pepper and saute for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the water and tomatoes, cover and simmer until the vegies are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Add the black-eyed peas, your choice of beans, and the barbecue sauce.
- Mix well, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- Garnish with crushed tortilla chips and sour cream on top if desired.
This was so very good. The only thing that I will change is double the recipe. This went over so well we are ready to have it tonight. Wonderful and fun to make. Thank You
Great Soup! The instructions are written clearly and the ingredients are all things I usually have on hand. I added some yellow peppers and some frozen corn kernels. And I used Ancho Chili Pepper rather that a fresh chili pepper. I topped each bowl with a small dollop of sour cream and a few crushed torilla chips as suggested. I served it with cheesy corn muffins. And my whole family enjoyed it. I do not think it would serve 6 as 3 adults and 2 children (6 and 3) ate every drop! It was that good! Thanks for sharing this recipe Tish.
Excellent soup - my husband didn't even whine about the lack of meat!! I followed the recipe exactly but I must confess that I "forgot" the BBQ sauce AND I added all 3 kinds of beans. Thanx Tish!