Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is Texas style chili with beans. This is my own recipe and it comes from my website, Smoked 'n Grilled. I tweaked this until it's just the way I like it! If you want it mild, then leave out the cayenne, but leave the black pepper in, because black pepper is very healthy for you.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 large red onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 4 jalapeno peppers (seeded and minced)
- 1 small green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 celery rib (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans (with liquid)
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans (with liquid)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato puree
- In a large stock pot, brown the ground beef along with the onion and garlic. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring it to a boil.
- Once it boils, reduce the heat and simmer for an hour covered.
- Skim off any grease on the top.
A good hearty chili; but be warned - even with cutting back it is HOT. So if you are a spice lover this is the chili for you. I did make 2 changes that I on't think changed the flavor but was done for ease of prep on my part. After frying the meat, dumped it all in the crock pot on high for 4 hours, the last hour removed the lid for it to thicken. I also left out the can of black beans as I didn't have one. This all worke out well and dinner was ready when DH got home. Served with Smoked Bacon & Onion Sweet Cornbread for an easy but complete dinner. Made for Spring PAC 2012