Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
In 'From a Southern Oven' by Jean Anderson
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled (preferably Mexican oregano)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, with liquid
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, moderately coarsely shredded
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, moderately coarsely shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat t 13 x 9 inch ovenproof glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Whisk eggs with flour, oregano, salt, thyme, and cayenne until frothy in a large bowl, then whisk in milk.
- Fold in chilies and both cheeses, stirring until combined.
- Pour into baking dish, slide onto middle oven shelf, and bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes, just until lightly golden and set.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan, then cut into bite-size pieces.
- Arrange on warm platter and serve with drinks.