Recipe by Manami
Who can argue with grilled bread topped off with a juicy grilled filet, a bed of watercress and an herb-rich butter? EatingWell
- 1 tablespoon whipped butter or 1 tablespoon regular butter, slightly softened
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced chives or 1 tablespoon shallot
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh marjoram or 3 teaspoons oregano, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (not the bottled kind)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 garlic clove, minced, plus
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 1 lb filet mignon, about 1 1/2 inches thick, trimmed of fat and cut into 4 portions
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 4 cups watercress, trimmed and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat grill to high.
- Mash butter in a small bowl with the back of a spoon until it's soft and creamy.
- Stir in 2 teaspoons oil until combined.
- Add chives (or shallot), capers, 1 teaspoon marjoram (or oregano), 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Cover and place in the freezer to chill.
- Combine the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, remaining 2 teaspoons marjoram (or oregano), remaining 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper, rosemary and minced garlic in a small bowl.
- Rub on both sides of steak.
- Rub both sides of bread with the halved garlic clove; discard the garlic.
- Grill the steak 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Grill the bread until toasted, 30 seconds to 1 minute per side.
- Transfer the toasts to a large plate, place the steaks on top of the toasts and spread the herb butter on top of the steaks; let rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide watercress among 4 plates and top with the steak-topped toasts.