Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 2 egg whites, beaten until frothy
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
- 1 teaspoon frozen unsweetened apple juice concentrate, undiluted
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 cup bran flakes
- fruit butter, such as apple,peach or pear (optional)
- 4 mint sprigs (to garnish) (optional)
- Combine the egg whites, milk and apple juice concentrate in a bowl and mix well.
- Place the bread in a shallow dish just large enough to hold it.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread and allow it to soak in.
- Turn bread over and allow to stand until all liquid is absorbed.
- Top each slice of soaked bread with 2 tablespoons bran flakes and press them in.
- Place bread flaked side down in a large, hot, non-stick skillet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Top each slice of bread with 2 tablespoons of the remaining bran flakes, pressing them in firmly.
- Cook the bread until well-browned, about 5 minutes.
- Carefully turn the bread slices over, using a spatula, and brown the other side, about 5 minutes.
- To serve, cut each slice of Texas Toast in quarters on the diagonal and place 4 triangles of toast on each of 2 plates.
- Top each toast quarter with 1 teaspoons of fruit butter and garnish each plate with a mint sprig, if desired.