Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Another Taste of Home recipe submitted by Kathy Young, Weatherford, TX.
Make and share this Texas Taco Platter recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs ground beef (lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (28 ounce) can ranch style beans, undrained
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) package corn chips
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup picante sauce (optional) or 1 cup salsa (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, brown beef and onion; drain. Add next 7 ingredients; simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add beans and heat through.
- On a large platter, layer the corn chips, rice, ,meat mixture, cheese, onion, lettuce, tomatoes and olives.
- Serve with picante sauce or salsa if desired.
- Note: I would probably add some sour cream also.
Thank you for posting this! I had lost this recipe and was tickled to find it again. I use red kidney beans or pintos sometimes, family likes it with any bean, and we use our favorite Mexican rice #117892. I hate frying taco shells in 100+ degrees, so this is our summer tacos! In order to not heat up the house I also make the rice exactly as stated but instead of the oven I use the rice maker. Love this recipe!