Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe came from a McCall's B-B-Q cookbook published in 1966! My mother used to make this often, and we all loved it! Now it has become one of my family's favorites. It is also good with flank steak!! (I never use a 4 lb. steak, so we just have more sauce!)
- 4 lbs round steaks, 2 inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot sauce
- To Make Marinade: Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Pour over steak in shallow baking dish.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove steak from marinade.
- Reserve marinade for sauce.
- To Make Sauce: Combine marinade with other ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Boil and reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered 10 minutes.
- Grill Steak.
- To Serve: Cut steak crosswise into 1/2" thick slices.
- Arrange steak on plate and pour sauce over steak.
- Cook time does not include marinating or grilling steak.
Awesome! We really loved this sauce on the steaks! I grilled them in a George Forman, other then that I followed the recipe exactly. This is a great steak recipe and I am so glad I decided to make it! Thank you so much Mustang Mom!