- Substitution: 1 1/2 Habanero instead of Jalapeno makes this warm but not too hot For Making Texas Style Picante Sauce: Combine jalapeno pepper, garlic, tomato paste, sugar, vinegar, alum and spices in blender or food processor.
- Process until desired consistency.
- Combine chopped vegetables in large sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Pour into hot sterilized 1 pint jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Seal and process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes or pressure canner for 5 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure.