Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This BBQ sauce has a balance of sweet, tangy, and spicy. It's so good, you may find yourself contemplating drinking it straight
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple cider
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 chipotle chile, minced
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- Process onion and water in food processor until slushy, about 45 seconds.
- Pass the onion slush through a fine mesh strainer over a large mixing bowl, pressing on the slush with a large rubber spatula. Discard the onion solids.
- Wisk ketchup, apple cider, 3 tbl. apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, molasses, dijon mustard, chipotle chili, adobo sauce, and black pepper into onion liquid.
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium-high heat, until bacon is crisp.
- Remove bacon with a slotted spoon.
- Add garlic and chili powder to hot bacon fat and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add onion-ketchup mixture to the saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Off heat, add remaining 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar.
- (Optional) Pulse cooked bacon is food processor until it is a fine powder and add to sauce.
Hi, I was wondering how long this will keep in the refrigerator. Thanks!