Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I got this recipe years ago from a coworker who brought it to a potluck and had to bring it to every potluck thereafter by popular demand. It's delicious served with lime and sour cream toppings and warmed flour tortillas on the side.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 -4 lbs beef chuck roast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- Heat 1 TBL oil in skillet. Sprinkle beef with 1/2 tsp salt.
- Add meat to skillet and brown over medium-high heat (brown in two batches if necessary).
- Transfer meat to Dutch oven.
- Pour drippings from skillet into bowl and add enough water to make 4 cups.
- Heat remaining oil in same skillet.
- Add chopped onions, green peppers, jalapeno, and garlic to skillet and cook until softened, approx 4-5 minutes.
- Add remaining salt and spices to ingredients in skillet. Cook 1 minute.
- Stir tomato paste into mixture in skillet and cook 1 minute.
- Stir 1 cup water mixture into skillet and bring to boil, stir and scrape bottom of skillet.
- Add skillet mixture to beef in Dutch oven, stir to blend.
- Stir remaining water mixture into beef mixture in Dutch oven and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 - 2 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Increase heat a little and simmer uncovered for another 30 minutes.