Recipe by SReiff
My own recipe adapted from two or three separate recipes to make this one unique and delicious soup. This recipe is on my "most often requested list." Don't let the amount of ingredients scare you, it really is quite easy to make!
Top Review by jerilynw
I added chopped portabella mushrooms to the veggies in oil, used drained, canned chicken (it worked) and garnished with fresh cilantro along with the cheese & chips. It was delicious, esp. with the cilantro adding lots of Mexican flavor. It was also very easy and quick to make, and hearty. I highly recommend this soup!
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 medium onions, chopped or 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- 2 cups corn
- 2 -3 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 3 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules, and seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup picante sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- shredded monterey jack cheese or mozzarella cheese or cheddar cheese
- tortilla chips, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup kettle, cook green pepper, onion and garlic in oil until soft; approximately 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 45-60 minutes (more flavor the longer it simmers).
- Serve in bowls. Top each with crushed tortilla chips and your choice of shredded cheese immediately before serving.