1/1 Photo of Texas Style Chicken Fried Steak With Cream Gravy
Cube steak works the best for this recipe. Chaz loves this - perfect comfort food with mashed potatoes and biscuits. Yay carbs!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Beat together the egg and milk and set aside.
- 2Mix together the salt, black pepper, paprika and white pepper and sprinkle on both sides of beef cutlets.
- 3Fill plastic zip lock back with flour. Drop steaks into bag to manually and dredge the steak in flour. Then pour flour into a shallow dish and shake excess flour off of the steaks. Use a pair of tongs for dipping steak into egg mixture and a separate pair of tongs for dipping into the flour.
- 4Set cutlets aside on a piece of waxed paper.
- 5Heat the cooking oil in a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet over medium-high heat for a few minutes. Oil should be about a half-inch deep in the pan. (This recipe is not about diets!) Check the temperature with a drop of water; if it pops and spits back at you, it's ready.
- 6With a long-handled fork, carefully place each cutlet into the hot oil. Protect yourself (and your kitchen) from the popping grease that results. Fry cutlets on both sides, turning once, until golden brown. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 4 or 5 minutes until cutlets are done through. Drain cutlets on paper towels.
- 7Cream Gravy.
- 8After the cutlets are removed from the pan, pour off all but about 2 tablespoons of oil, keeping as many as possible of the browned bits in the pan. Heat the oil over medium heat until hot.
- 9Sprinkle 3 tablespoons flour (use the left-over flour from the chicken fried steak recipe (waste not -- want not) in the hot oil. Stir with a wooden spoon, quickly, to brown the flour.
- 10Gradually stir in 3/4 cup milk and 3/4 cup water, mixed together, stirring constantly with the wooden spoon and mashing out any lumps. Lower heat, and gravy will begin to thicken. Continue cooking and stirring a few minutes until gravy reaches desired thickness. Check seasonings and add more salt and pepper according to your taste.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Texas Style Chicken Fried Steak With Cream Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (60 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 286.7
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 130.9 mg
- Sodium 375.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 23.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: