Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Here is a recipe for "Texas" spoon bread that I've tried and like very much.
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs, separated
- In saucepan, scald the milk; stir in cornmeal.
- Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- In small bowl, beat egg yolks.
- Gradually stir a small amount of the hot mixture into yolks; return all to pan and mix well.
- In mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into hot mixture until well blended.
- Pour into greased 8-inch square baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until well puffed.
- Use a spoon to serve.
I just made this and my whole family loved it!! I will be adding it to my book of favorite recipes! It was easy to make and went really well with our grilled chicken and salad.
I made some slight aterations in this recipe and it came out just like my mama use to make. Use 1/2 c. yellow & 1/2 c. white cornmeal, increase butter to 2 T. (unsalted), add 1 t. baking powder, 1/4 t. baking soda, pour in buttered (unsalted) casserole, increase temp to 375 de. for 45 min. Light & fluffy - mmm-mmm!