Recipe by @ngdarlen
You want a meal stretcher that taste good,well this is it.I can get atleast 3 meals outta this one pot of souper pintos.Got the recipe from a Southern Living magazine and the description on the recipe says to serve on hot dogs,in taco shells,but I like to use mine as a base for tostados and to make burritos with,but it can really be used in any mexican dish calling for ground beef or beans.It's really delicious!
Top Review by clmcmm Moore
I made these last night and they were delicious! My son had 5 helpings with tortillas. We sprinkled cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream on top. I will definitely make these again!!
- 1 lb dried pinto bean
- 5 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) envelope taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes (I like to use 3 cans of rotel)
- 2 lbs ground chuck
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beans in dutch oven.
- Cover with water 2 inches above beans;bring to a boil.
- Boil 2 minutes;remove from heat,and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and return to dutch oven.
- Add 5 cups water and next 8 ingredients to dutch oven;bring mixture to a boil.
- Add ground chuck,stirring to crumble.
- (I cook and crumble mine before I add to beans but you can do either way).
- Cover,reduce heat and simmer,stirring occasionally,1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer 30 minutes or until beans are tender and mixture has thickened.