1/3 Photos of Texas Sheet Cake
This is from "Better Homes and Gardens Complete Book of Baking". There is another BH&G recipe posted but it is different. I haven't made that one but LOVE this one. It's very light & moist. I'd prefer it to brownies or chocolate cake any day. I very strongly recommend that you add the cinnamon. I think that is what makes it so special. This also freezes well, unfrosted. Then thaw several hours at room temperature and frost it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1Preheat oven to 375.
- 2Grease a 15x10x1 (I use a 13x9x2) baking pan and set aside.
- 3In a medium saucepan combine butter, water, and cocoa powder. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- 4In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat with electric mixer on low to medium speed to combine. Add cocoa mixture and beat until blended.
- 5Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in a 375 oven 20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Adjust cooking time for 13x9x2 pan.
- 6Immediately pour hot chocolate frosting over warm cake; spread evenly. Completely cool cake in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares.
- 7Chocolate Frosting directions:.
- 8In a medium saucepan stir together butter, cocoa powder and buttermilk. Cook and stir until boiling; remove from heat. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer on low speed until blended. Stir in walnuts in desired.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Texas Sheet Cake
Serving Size: 1 (30 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 60
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 97.9
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 16.4 mg
- Sodium 79.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 0.9 g