Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is an extremely moist chocolate/cinnamon cake that tastes almost like fudge! It's thick, sweet, and perfect with vanilla ice cream . . . or by itself!
- Mix in large bowl and set aside the two cups of flour and two cups of sugar.
- In saucepan, bring 1 stick of margarine, four tablespoons of cocoa, and 1 cup of water to a boil.
- Pour boiled mixture over dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup buttermilk (this is what moistens the cake!),1 teaspoons baking soda, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix well.
- After mixed, pour into 9 1/2 x 13 1/2 baking pan. Bake 25 minutes @ 400 degrees. As cake comes from oven, pour icing mixture over the top - DO THIS WHILE THE CAKE IS HOT HOT HOT!
- Make The Icing!
- Boil 4 tablespoons cocoa, 1 stick (1 cup)margarine, and 6 tablespoons of milk together for 1 minute. Add to powdered sugar and vanilla. Blend/stir until the lumps are gone, and pour over HOT cake. Let sit for 30 minutes until cool.
- This cake freezes beautifully!
This is my favorite Texas Sheet Cake recipe, though I omit the cinnamon and stir a handful or two of walnut pieces into the icing.
I've also made an Almond Butter Sheet Cake with this recipe by omitting the cocoa from both the cake and icing, using almond extract in place of vanilla, and sprinkling on a small packet of almond slivers while the icing is still warm.
Once, I made the cake vanilla and used maraschino juice in place of some of the milk in the icing along with some diced maraschino cherries, to turn the icing pink and made a pink Cherry Vanilla Sheet Cake for Valentine's Day.
I've thought about trying other extracts and juices to make other variations, such as orange, but continuing to use this basic recipe as it makes such nice, moist bars.
This is my favorite Chocolate Cake! This is the same recipe that my family has made for years. Made this today and it was great. Thanks for posting.
This is the BEST.. I had lost my recipe and finally found this one. Served it at a birthday/20th anniversary potluck last week. People were eating it out of the pan!