Recipe by belkathy
Quite tasty. You may want to add a little more salt. I don't find this the least bit hot, but those with more conservative tastes might.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs baking potatoes, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 8 -10 green onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 ounces pimientos, diced (drained)
- 1⁄3 cup pickled jalapeno pepper, reserve 1 tablespoon liquid from jar of pickled jalapenos
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover the potatoes with water in a pot.
- Add the salt and cook at medium heat for 30 min.
- Drain the potatoes and let cool.
- Thinly slice potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Melt the butter and oil over medium heat.
- Saute the bell pepper, onions, and garlic until they become soft.
- Add the pimientos, jalapenos, and jalapeno liquid.
- Sprinkle with flour and stir.
- Slowly add milk, stirring constantly.
- Let thicken, while stirring.
- Remove from heat and mix in the cheese.
- Layer the potatoes and sauce in greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with a little paprika if desired.
- Cover with foil and bake for about an hour.