We really like these green beans at TRH and after a little searching found this recipe. Recipe is courtesy of WTVR, Richmond, VA. When a friend of mine started working there, I asked if this is how they prepare their green beans and she shook her head yes, but said no with a smile. I have included both variations for this recipe; choose the one to your liking. Cook/simmer time is approximate.
- Using a colander, thoroughly drain green beans. Set aside.
- Mix water, sugar and pepper until well incorporated. Set aside.
- Preheat your cooking pan to Medium High heat.
- Raw Bacon Method.
- Using a cutting board and a knife, dice the raw bacon into equal size pieces. Place diced bacon into preheated cooking pan. Continually stir bacon with large spoon to keep the bacon from burning.
- Once bacon is cooked add the onions and cook until they are tender and light brown.
- Diced, Cooked Ham Method.
- Using a cutting board and a knife, dice the cooked ham into equal size pieces. Place the diced ham and onions into the preheated cooking pan.
- Using the large spoon, continue to stir the ham and onions until the ham is lightly brown and the onions are tender.
- Now that the onions are tender add the liquid mixture and the beans.
- Using the rubber spatula stir the mixture until incorporated.
- Bring mixture to a boil and turn heat to simmer. Serve beans as soon as you are ready.
I Really loved it but when i go to TRH they have a lil kick so ijust added some seasoned salt & lil bit more pepper made it just right! Im glade i found this not i can't wait for the Holidays! :)
My husband is from KY and raved about these! I've made them several times now, with excellent results each time. Made them for my whole family as a side dish with Country Ham and scalloped potatoes and there were none left.
These are good greenbeans, but I think next time I will back off on the sugar.