Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
We really like these green beans at TRH and after a little searching found this recipe. Recipe is courtesy of WTVR, Richmond, VA. When a friend of mine started working there, I asked if this is how they prepare their green beans and she shook her head yes, but said no with a smile. I have included both variations for this recipe; choose the one to your liking. Cook/simmer time is approximate.
- 2 (16 ounce) cans green beans, drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces bacon, diced (raw) or 4 ounces ham (cooked)
- 4 ounces diced onions
- Using a colander, thoroughly drain green beans. Set aside.
- Mix water, sugar and pepper until well incorporated. Set aside.
- Preheat your cooking pan to Medium High heat.
- Raw Bacon Method.
- Using a cutting board and a knife, dice the raw bacon into equal size pieces. Place diced bacon into preheated cooking pan. Continually stir bacon with large spoon to keep the bacon from burning.
- Once bacon is cooked add the onions and cook until they are tender and light brown.
- Diced, Cooked Ham Method.
- Using a cutting board and a knife, dice the cooked ham into equal size pieces. Place the diced ham and onions into the preheated cooking pan.
- Using the large spoon, continue to stir the ham and onions until the ham is lightly brown and the onions are tender.
- Now that the onions are tender add the liquid mixture and the beans.
- Using the rubber spatula stir the mixture until incorporated.
- Bring mixture to a boil and turn heat to simmer. Serve beans as soon as you are ready.
I Really loved it but when i go to TRH they have a lil kick so ijust added some seasoned salt & lil bit more pepper made it just right! Im glade i found this not i can't wait for the Holidays! :)
My husband is from KY and raved about these! I've made them several times now, with excellent results each time. Made them for my whole family as a side dish with Country Ham and scalloped potatoes and there were none left.
Use canned green beans sautee bacon remove modt of the dripping render down a handful of onions until translucent. Then drop green beans in. Stir till coated with bacon grease. Add black pepper and some some garlic. Keep stirring. Simmer for a few minutes and use some liquid smoke about a tablespoon and a teaspoon of Montreal strakseasoning.. Simmer a few minutes and add the crumbled bacon you removed earlier. Let simmer 10-15 minutes and its ready to serve. You guys that are missing the bite or kick try the steak seasoning and liquid smoke. It really kicks it up.