Recipe by windhorse23
Another one of those "been in the family" dishes. It's a good vegetarian main dish, a great tex-mex side dish and great for potluck meals.
Top Review by Kathy228
I made this for Pick-A-Chef. I'm glad I picked Windhorse, because this rice was just excellent. The peppers I used were jalapenos and the cheese I chose was Jack. I only used two peppers but thought I should have used three because I like the heat. I also added 2-tbsp chopped red pepper for color. It was easy to make and the baking time was exact. How good this would be to take to a buffet. I love this and will be making it often. Thanks for a keeper of a recipe!
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups cooked rice (about 1 1/2 cups uncooked)
- 1 cup cottage cheese (not lowfat)
- 1 (3 ounce) canchopped green chilies or 1 (3 ounce) can jalapenos, depending on how hot you like
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese or 2 cups monterey jack cheese