1/7 Photos of Texas Red Enchilada Sauce
Mark H.'s Note:
This sauce can be used with beef or cheese enchiladas. The amount of "heat" in the sauce depends on the type and amount of chili powder you use.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt butter/margarine in a sauce pan.
- 2Make a roux by browning flour in melted butter/margarine.
- 3Add spices and tomato paste; stir until well blended into roux.
- 4Add water gradually, stirring constantly.
- 5Heat until boiling.
- 6Continue simmering and stirring until desired thickness is achieved.
- 7Taste every so often and adjust spices as needed.
- 8Once desired consistency and taste is reached, coat the bottom of a pan with the sauce, add freshly rolled enchiladas, then pour the remainder of the red sauce over enchiladas.
- 9Place pan in oven and cook until enchiladas are done.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Texas Red Enchilada Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (771 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 235.7
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 901.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 6.3 g