Recipe by Toby Jermain
This recipe was given to my wife, Glenda, by Bob Keith, one of her old Houston friends, now deceased, a Montana native transplanted to Texas. I felt I had to include this recipe appease No-Bean chili afficionados and to offset my recipe for Texas Chil Beans. This IS a very good no-beans recipe, though I prefer to substitute 3-4 Poblano peppers for the bell peppers.
- 5 lbs coarse ground beef (chili beef)
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 5 stalks celery, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 4 tablespoons ground cumin (2 oz)
- 8 tablespoons dried oregano, lightly crushed (4 oz)
- 4 tablespoons chili powder (2 oz)
- 4 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper (2 oz)
- 2 tablespoons salt (1 oz)
- 6 tablespoons sweet paprika (3 oz)
- 2 cups water
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 tomatoes, skinned seeded, and diced
- 0.5 (12 ounce) bottlelone star beer
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat in a large, heavy bottom pot, and drain off grease.
- Add garlic, onion, bell pepper, celery, jalapeno, cumin, oregano, chili powder, black pepper, salt, and paprika.
- Add 2 cups water, and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and beer.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until desired consistency is reached.
- According to Bob, DO NOT ADD BEANS OR RICE!
- This is considered a felony offense by many Texans!
- Beans may, however, be served on the side, if desired.