1 hr 30 mins
Toby Jermain's Note:
This recipe was given to my wife, Glenda, by Bob Keith, one of her old Houston friends, now deceased, a Montana native transplanted to Texas. I felt I had to include this recipe appease No-Bean chili afficionados and to offset my recipe for Texas Chil Beans. This IS a very good no-beans recipe, though I prefer to substitute 3-4 Poblano peppers for the bell peppers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs coarse ground beef (chili beef)
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 5 stalks celery, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 4 tablespoons ground cumin (2 oz)
- 8 tablespoons dried oregano, lightly crushed (4 oz)
- 4 tablespoons chili powder (2 oz)
- 4 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper (2 oz)
- 2 tablespoons salt (1 oz)
- 6 tablespoons sweet paprika (3 oz)
- 2 cups water
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 tomatoes, skinned seeded, and diced
- 0.5 (12 ounce) bottle lone star beer
- 1Brown meat in a large, heavy bottom pot, and drain off grease.
- 2Add garlic, onion, bell pepper, celery, jalapeno, cumin, oregano, chili powder, black pepper, salt, and paprika.
- 3Add 2 cups water, and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- 4Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and beer.
- 5Cook for 30 minutes or until desired consistency is reached.
- 6According to Bob, DO NOT ADD BEANS OR RICE!
- 7This is considered a felony offense by many Texans!
- 8Beans may, however, be served on the side, if desired.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Texas- Red Chili Con Carne
Serving Size: 1 (181 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 671.9
- Calories from Fat 428
- Total Fat 47.5 g
- Saturated Fat 17.7 g
- Cholesterol 161.0 mg
- Sodium 1786.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 42.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
coarse ground beef