Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From Southern Living.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless round steak
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen cut okra
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 6 cups hot cooked rice
- Trim excess fat from steaK; cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Combine flour, thyme, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish or pie pan; dredge meat in flour mixture.
- Heat butter and oil in a dutch oven; add meat; cook until browned on all sides.
- Remove meat, reserving drippings in pan; add onion and green peppers to pan; stir/saute until tender.
- Stir in mead and next 5 ingredients; cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove bay leaf and adjust seasonings to taste; serve over rice.