Recipe by ashkani
I used *Just Cher*'s Ranch Bean recipe, as a base for a much loved family favorite, that I wanted to re-create at our base Dining Facility. In the States I could have bought a nice can of Ranch Style beans, and then kicked up--but here...no grocery store. I still had some lovely dried Chipotle Peppers my daughter had sent...so in they went. (I am scaling this back down from the 150 I cooked it for, so I hope it is accurate for home cooks. :) )
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 lb beef hot dog, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 sweet bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 4 dried chipotle peppers
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes
- fresh cilantro (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- SOAK CHIPOTLE PEPPERS IN 1/2 CUP BOILING WATER FOR 30 MINUTES. WEAR GLOVES(THE SEEDS ARE DASTARDLY HOT!), SPLIT, AND SCRAPE OUT THE SEEDS IF YOU WANT A MILDER HEAT DISH. LEAVE THE SEEDS IF YOU ARE GOING COWBOY-STYLE--CHOP.
- IN LARGE SAUCEPAN, HEAT OIL, AND ADD ONIONS AND BELL PEPPERS.
- SAUTEE UNTIL SOFT--ADD GARLIC AND CHIPOTLE PEPPERS AND SAUTE A MINUTE MORE.
- ADD BROTH, BEANS,BBQ SAUCE,TOMATOES,SPICES, SALT,MUSTARD AND BROWN SUGAR.
- COOK ON SIMMER FOR 30 MINUTES, COVERED.
- ADD HOTDOG PIECES.
- AFTER 30 MINUTES IF YOU WANT THE CONSISTENCY TIGHTER, KEEP THE PAN UNCOVERED.
- GARNISH WITH FRESH CILANTRO(If you are lucky enough to have. :) ).