Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- Place beans in a dutch oven,add water 2 inches above beans.
- Bring to a boil.
- Boil 1 minute, cover and remove from heat.
- Let stand 1 hour.
- Bring beans and 4 2/3 cups water and next 4 ingredients to a boil in the dutch oven.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until tender.
- Add tomato and jalapeno pepper and simmer mixture for 30 more minutes.
Great recipe. I added 4 slices of bacon, since it was the main course, and served it more in a bowl than a side dish. With corn bread it was a great supper. The cooking times were perfect, especially when your trying to serve fresh baked bread with it.
Good pot o'beans. I didn't do the 4 peppers, just used one very hot jalapeno. Corn bread was essential and the tomato was new for me in beans - I don't usually add tomato. It was a nice touch.
These beans are really good, but I used a can of Rotel tomatoes and chilies instead and a couple of minced garlic gloves. I cooked it all day in the crockpot and it was the main part of a wonderful meal in the evening after work!