Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 2 tablespoons Texas Pete® Original Hot Sauce
- 1 cup medium Texas Pete® Medium Salsa, drained, pulsed in food processor
- 8 cups peanut oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups white cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, thick shred
- 1⁄2 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat fryer to 350 degrees or pour 4 inches of oil into a deep, heavy pot. Clip a candy thermometer on the side of the pot and bring to 350 degrees over medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, garlic, Texas Pete® Hot Sauce and Texas Pete® Medium Salsa. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
- Add cheese and bacon. Mix until just combined.
- Using 2 tablespoons or a #30 scoop, carefully drop balls of batter into fryer. Fry for about 4 minutes, turning halfway through until golden brown and cooked through.
- Transfer to paper towel lined sheet tray and sprinkle with kosher salt to taste. Serve immediately.