Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is an absolutely wonderful way to cook brisket.
Make and share this Texas Oven Brisket recipe from Food.com.
- 5 -6 lbs fresh beef brisket, well trimmed
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (your favorite)
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup liquid smoke (colgins is the best)
- 2 tablespoons celery salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 275F DEGREES.
- in a large pyrex baking dish, thoroughly mix all ingredients for sauce. put the brisket in the baking dish, and turn it over once to coat it with the sauce. sela the dish tightly with havy-duty aluminum foil.
- bake at 275F DEGREES; for 5 to 7 hours (about 1 hour and 15 minutes per pound). remove from oven and allow to stand for 1 hour before slicing. slice across the grain, and serve with sauce. makes 8 to 10 servings.
- note: this recipe works well with 5- to 6- pound brisket. be sure to use a pyrex baking dish or a very heavy metal pan. also, before you prepare the brisket, remove it from the refrigerator far enough ahead of time to allow it to come to room temperature.
I really like this recipe, but would consider cutting down on the celery salt/lemon pepper, as I thought it was a bit salty. I've got a salt-free lemon pepper that I'll use next time. The house smelled so good all day. I did not use a trimmed brisket, but sliced off the fat before serving it. I debated using bacon slices on top, but MIL said the fat would provide the extra flavor, which it did. Thanks for posting - this one's a keeper !