Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I was given this recipe by a friend in 1965 and it is such a rich, good cake. I am listing my German chocolate icing here that I use with it,you can use store bought too.
- 1⁄2 cup oleo
- 1 cup uncooked oats
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Rich Coconut Icing
- 1⁄2 cup oleo
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup white sugar or 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- Bring the water to a boil. Add oats and oleo. Remove from heat and let stand 20 minutes.
- Add to oat mixture: Rest of ingredients.
- Bake in prepared cake pans at 350°F for about 30 minutes or till knife comes out clean when checked.
- Cool and ice with prepared icing or can use my recipe for here (like a German Chocolate icing).
- **Icing for this cake**:.
- Bring to boil: Evaporated milk, oleo, sugar, vanilla. Boil for 3-4 minutes. Add coconut and nuts.
Was looking for a "healthy" recipe to use up some bananas. Made per the recipe, but was too sweet for us, and a bit heavy. Didn't make the icing -
Wonderful recipe and easy too ! I wanted to make your yummy looking icing but ,(SOB!)no one else in the family likes cocnut except me ! I am sure I will be making this cake many more times to come !
Not only was this recipe easy and fast, the family loved it. I used a chocolate glaze because my family doesn't care for coconut. This recipe is definately a keeper.