Recipe by manushag
I don't know where I got this recipe nor do I know the history of its name. I have been making this since the 70's. You can cook the caramels to soft or firm stage depending on your preference. I like to make them very soft. I chill in frig and cut up into squares. Then I freeze them and dip them in batches. The full recipe makes alot of candy, so I sometimes make only half. Sometimes I add chopped nuts to half the recipe. I like dark chocolate.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups cream, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 lbs dipping chocolate
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook butter, sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup and butter until boiling.
- Add 1 cup cream and bring to a boil.
- Slowly add second cup of cream and cook to soft ball stage with a candy thermometer.
- Turn off heat and add 1 tsp vanilla.
- Pour into a 10 x 15 pan which has been lined with parchment, sprayed with Pam.
- Chill in refrigerator and cut into squares.
- Melt chocolate over double boiler.
- Dip caramels and allow to set on waxed paper.