Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This comes from the food section of the Houston Chronicle. I made some for a Super Bowl get-together yesterday and everyone loved them. I used a roll of regular and a roll of hot sausage and stuck toothpick "stems" in the eggs so nibblers could tell the difference. Use smallish jalapenos for this recipe.You will find that they are not very "jalapeno" hot,but they do have that flavor-great for parties!
- 10 -12 fresh jalapeno peppers
- 2 lbs breakfast sausage (regular or hot)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature (can use 1/3 less fat)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Split the jalapenos end to end, making little "canoes" of them.
- Clean out the centers, removing all the seeds and veins.
- Fill each half level with cream cheese.
- With the sausage, take a "meatball" sized portion, flatten it in your hand, making a rectangle out of it.
- Take the filled jalapeno half and wrap it completely with the sausage.
- Wash hands thoroughly to remove pepper "stuff".
- Place on a broiler pan or cooling rack suspended over a baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until evenly browned.
- Let "eggs" cool a bit and enjoy!
These are my favorite stuffed jalapeno. Simple, straight forward and perfect for any low carb diet. This goes in my favorite things cookbook.