Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
This is the basically the same recipe as my Texas Homemade BBQ Sauce for Canning or OAMC OAMC BBQ Sauce but in this one I give you instructions and ingredients for a much smaller quantity, 6 cups (1 1/2 quarts) instead of gallons! lol There have been so many arguments started over whose has the best sauce- but we all know Mama's is best! lol
Top Review by TJ-Montana
Well darlin', every TEXAS BBQ sauce (as per the name of this recipe) darn sure starts with tomato sauce - further East they start it with apple cider vinegar - but that's the great thing about local cuisine! Great recipe! I bet the type of ketchup used makes a difference too. Thanks!!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cups ketchup (32 oz)
- 2 cups tomato sauce (16 oz)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (I use fresh)
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped- adjust to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in butter until clear.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add all other ingredients and simmer for at least 30 minutes. *I throw the lemon in after I have squeezed the juice out and remove before serving.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.