Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mom used to make this when I was living at home. It is a very comforting food and very filling.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 quart diced tomato (4 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup instant brown rice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- In skillet cook and crumble beef; drain well.
- Add onions. Stir in tomatoes, uncooked rice, salt to taste, pepper and chili powder. Heat through.
- Pour into ungreased 2 quart casserole dish and bake for 30-40 minutes at 300.
- (Note if you are using regular brown rice you will need to partially cook it before adding or it will not cook all the way.).
made this tonight and it's really good. It got the kid approved rating :) I added extra rice and chili powder for more zip.. This will be made again.. Thank you so much for a wonderful, easy, tasty recipe utahmomoftwo..
This was an easy meal to put together. I had some Rotel type tomatoes and used those. I also added some corn and some leftover water chestnuts. I did not have instant brown rice so I did cook my rice before adding. I found I did need to add a little salt but that is just personal preference. I think you could add almost any of your favourite veggies to this dish if you wanted to. This made a large casserole and is quite tasty. Thanks for the recipe.