Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Official Contest Entry: Simply Potatoes 5Fix. All the flavors you love from TexMex without the hassle! Fresh ingredients, spicy chorizo, and creamy avocado make this the perfect blend for breakfast, brunch, or a side dish to flank steak, tilapia, or mexican chicken dish. It's flavor profile makes it versatile and fun!!!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 red onion
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 (24 ounce) package Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 8 ounces uncased mexican chorizo sausage
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the chorizo and use a spoon to break it up and cook it until it is cooked through (approximately 8-10 minutes).
- In another skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Form hash browns into 6 small, flat rounds and place in hot pan. Cook hash brown cakes until golden and crispy (about 5-6 minutes), flip, and repeat on the other side.
- While hash brown cakes are cooking, prep fresh ingredients by slicing onion into 1/8 inch rounds and slicing avocado into 1/8 inch thick strips.
- Place hash brown cakes onto serving platter, spoon a generous portion of chorizo over the cakes, top with a few onion rounds and 3-4 strips of avocado. Serve immediately.
LOVE chorizo!! Searched for some recipes with chorizo on here and didn't want a casserole or bake. This one fit the build. As some of the other reviewers said it had some fresh ingredients which is important to me. I made several of these for a brunch with friends and was nervous trying a new recipe but everyone loved it...love when that happens!
As a cook, I'm all about combinations of flavors, mixing fresh ingredients with easy ingredients, and making it simple because I have kids and don't have time for involved recipes anymore. I read the last review and agreed that I was surprised this wasn't reviewed before because it is absolutely delicious. My husband loved it, my kids loved it, and I loved it...that never happens. I am always happy to try recipes with chorizo so good job chef...this was a great recipe.
Has no one else tried this recipe?? This is fantastic! None of the recipes using 5 ingredients use a lot of fresh ingredients (it's all frozen, canned, etc.) and between the chorizo and the fresh onion and avocado this recipe is DELICIOUS! I made a whole pan of it instead of cakes but I am liking the idea of little hashbrown cakes for when company comes over.