Recipe by Colleen P.
Official Contest Entry: Simply Potatoes 5Fix. All the flavors you love from TexMex without the hassle! Fresh ingredients, spicy chorizo, and creamy avocado make this the perfect blend for breakfast, brunch, or a side dish to flank steak, tilapia, or mexican chicken dish. It's flavor profile makes it versatile and fun!!!
Top Review by Dan M.
LOVE chorizo!! Searched for some recipes with chorizo on here and didn't want a casserole or bake. This one fit the build. As some of the other reviewers said it had some fresh ingredients which is important to me. I made several of these for a brunch with friends and was nervous trying a new recipe but everyone loved it...love when that happens!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 red onion
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 (24 ounce) package Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 8 ounces uncased mexican chorizo sausage
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the chorizo and use a spoon to break it up and cook it until it is cooked through (approximately 8-10 minutes).
- In another skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Form hash browns into 6 small, flat rounds and place in hot pan. Cook hash brown cakes until golden and crispy (about 5-6 minutes), flip, and repeat on the other side.
- While hash brown cakes are cooking, prep fresh ingredients by slicing onion into 1/8 inch rounds and slicing avocado into 1/8 inch thick strips.
- Place hash brown cakes onto serving platter, spoon a generous portion of chorizo over the cakes, top with a few onion rounds and 3-4 strips of avocado. Serve immediately.