Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came from our local newspaper. I like this recipe because it is easy to make and very tasty.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons chili powder, to taste
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 can sweet corn, with liquid
- 1 cup water, plus additional as needed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Saute ground beef in large skillet or Dutch oven with garlic.
- Add pepper.
- Add onion when meat is close to being done and saute until onion is nearly trasparent.
- Add remaining ingredients, except the cheese.
- Stir and reduce heat to low and simmer covered until rice is done.
- Add water if necessary.
- Remove lid and spread cheese.
- Let cheese melt and serve.
- May freeze leftovers.
made this... added my own "twist" on it as I doubled it. I used 1lb ground turkey, 1 lb ground beef, a can of corn & a can of mixed veggies. I also used a bell pepper. my family LOVED it. I omitted the cheese (we were out). But on my portion I put a slice of cheese (melted in microwave) and some salsa and sour cream. YUMMMMMMMIE! Next time I will probably try to make it mexican style:)
Thanks so much, and my family gives it a huge thumbs up!