This is a easy work night recipe that I grew up on and passed to me from my Mom. It is excellent, hearty, and my boys love it with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top when it is served. Freezes well, and I think it is better the next day. Try it before you change it!
- 453.59 g ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced (thumb nail size)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced (thumb nail size)
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 425.24 g can dark red kidney beans, pintos work too. (drained)
- 177.44 ml uncooked rice (Uncle Ben's Long grain, not instant)
- 354.88 ml water
- 425.24 g can diced tomatoes, I use low salt version (undrained)
- 22.18 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml ground black pepper
- Brown beef, onion, and bell pepper in 1 Tbsp oil.
- Add beans, rice, water, tomatoes, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Cover and simmer over low heat 30 minutes until rice is done. Stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat, and let rest covered 5 to 10 minutes to thicken. Serve with a great corn bread and a salad for a complete meal. Parmesan or American cheese slices on top make this really great.