Recipe by Janet
One casserole serves about 4 (of course, we like to eat!). Can't remember where the recipe came from, but it's really easy to make and makes a great "quick" meal when you freeze one of them.
Top Review by Mysterygirl
We all felt like this dish was missing something. I think next time that I will up the chili powder to 2 Tablespoons instead of teaspoons and might try garlic or oregano to help lift it. This dish has definite possibilities though.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (I use Spice Islands)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) package spaghetti
- 1 lb grated cheddar cheese (, I like Extra Sharp)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in large skillet.
- Add onion, green pepper and celery.
- Cook over moderate heat until tender.
- Push vegetables to side of skillet; add meat and cook and stir until it loses its pink color.
- Mix meat and vegetables together.
- Cover and simmer 3 minutes over low heat.
- Remove any excess fat.
- Add tomatoes, chili powder (add to taste), salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- While meat is cooking, cook spaghetti and drain.
- Mix spaghetti and meat mixture together and pour into a 2-quart casserole.
- Chill until ready to bake.
- Top with grated cheese and bake in a preheated 350 oven until bubbling hot, about 25- 30 minutes.
- Can make additional casserole and freeze.