Recipe by PanNan
These pies are baked rather than fried, and can be filled with any favorite filling - fruit preserves, pie filling, fruit butters, etc. My son's favorite filling is Smucker's strawberry preserves. For easier preparation, I mix the ingredients in the food processor, and those instructions are given below, but you could easily mix them by hand as well. Note - the time listed does not include the chilling time.
Top Review by childerz
These treats were very tasty! I filled mine with some canned pumpkin and a little honey and cinnamon, and they tasted quite like one of my favorite foods- pumpkin empanadas. Thanks for a delicous recipe!
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (or plain yogurt)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup preserves (or jam, pie filling, fruit butter, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons preserves (or jam, pie filling, fruit butter, etc.)
- confectioners' sugar, for sprinkling
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the food processor bowl. Pulse a time or two to blend. Add the vanilla, sour cream and milk. Pulse a few times to mix. Add the butter, shortening and sugar and egg, and process until the mixture is thoroughly blended and starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl and form a ball.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portion and form into balls.
- Refrigerate for about an hour until they're well chilled.
- Preheat oven to 375, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Flour the work surface and rolling pin. Place a ball of chilled dough on the floured surface. Roll each ball of chilled dough into a 5" diameter circle, using additional flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking to the rolling pin.
- Spread 1 1/2 tbsp filling on one half of the circle, leaving a 1/2" uncovered space around the edge of the dough. Moisten the 1/2" space all around the edge of the dough with water.
- Fold the circle of dough in half, over the filling, and crimp the edges with a fork. Prick the pies a few time with the fork tines, to allow the steam to escape while they're baking.
- Place the pies on the parchment on the baking sheet, and bake in the pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes, or until they're light brown.
- Place the pies on a cooling rack until room temperature. Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar before serving.