Recipe by Montana Heart Song
My own recipe evolved when making green rice. For oven casserole or crockpot, a great take along.You can have this meatless or use any ground meat.Just add more cheese and crushed crackers for meatless.
- 2 lbs ground beef or 2 lbs ground turkey or 2 lbs ground chicken or 2 lbs chopped tofu
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 whole green onions, chopped
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 4 cups fresh spinach, chopped fine
- 3 green peppers, cored, seeded, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, ends cut, peeled, seeded & chunked
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon mccormick all seasoning
- 2 cups raw white rice, washed & drained
- 4 cups crushed crackers (optional)
- 2 cups shredded shredded American cheese or 2 cups Velveeta cheese or 2 cups cheddar cheese or 2 cups colby-monterey jack cheese
- Pam cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pan, saute meat or tofu in olive oil with green onion, green chilies, celery spinach, green peppers. Set aside.
- Place half of the zucchini chunks in blender and pulse until milk. Measure and pour into a large mixing bowl. Blend until milk the balance of the chunks, measure and put in mixing bowl. Pour in evaporated milk.
- Liquid must measure 4 cups. Add water from the 1 cup as needed. If you don't need, do not add.
- Add washed rice. Add sauteed meat and vegetables and italian seasoning, cumin, celery seed, garlic and white pepper. Mix.
- Preheat oven 350*.
- Spray pam in large 4 quart casserole with lid or foil.
- Add meat & vegetable mixture. Cover. Cook.
- 45 minutes until rice is done.
- Last ten minutes of cooking, stir casserole.
- (If meatless place crushed crackers on top.).
- Pour shredded cheese on top and cook covered ten minutes. Before serving, set 10 to 15 minutes. Serve with hot crusty bread or biscuits. This can be made in a crockpot, 4hours on high. Follow exact instructions and add cheese last 10 minutes covered.