1 hr 5 mins
Montana Heart Song's Note:
My own recipe evolved when making green rice. For oven casserole or crockpot, a great take along.You can have this meatless or use any ground meat.Just add more cheese and crushed crackers for meatless.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs ground beef or 2 lbs ground turkey or 2 lbs ground chicken or 2 lbs chopped tofu
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 whole green onions, chopped
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 4 cups fresh spinach, chopped fine
- 3 green peppers, cored, seeded, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, ends cut, peeled, seeded & chunked
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon mccormick all seasoning
- 2 cups raw white rice, washed & drained
- 4 cups crushed crackers (optional)
- 2 cups shredded shredded American cheese or 2 cups Velveeta cheese or 2 cups cheddar cheese or 2 cups colby-monterey jack cheese
- Pam cooking spray
- 1In large pan, saute meat or tofu in olive oil with green onion, green chilies, celery spinach, green peppers. Set aside.
- 2Place half of the zucchini chunks in blender and pulse until milk. Measure and pour into a large mixing bowl. Blend until milk the balance of the chunks, measure and put in mixing bowl. Pour in evaporated milk.
- 3Liquid must measure 4 cups. Add water from the 1 cup as needed. If you don't need, do not add.
- 4Add washed rice. Add sauteed meat and vegetables and italian seasoning, cumin, celery seed, garlic and white pepper. Mix.
- 5Preheat oven 350*.
- 6Spray pam in large 4 quart casserole with lid or foil.
- 7Add meat & vegetable mixture. Cover. Cook.
- 845 minutes until rice is done.
- 9Last ten minutes of cooking, stir casserole.
- 10(If meatless place crushed crackers on top.).
- 11Pour shredded cheese on top and cook covered ten minutes. Before serving, set 10 to 15 minutes. Serve with hot crusty bread or biscuits. This can be made in a crockpot, 4hours on high. Follow exact instructions and add cheese last 10 minutes covered.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Texas Green (A Great Casserole)
Serving Size: 1 (284 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 436.5
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 69.0 mg
- Sodium 123.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 23.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: