1 hr 15 mins
Ms. MO's Note:
Ultimate comfort food, Texas Goulash was originally my mother's recipe which she taught me to make at age 10. I've changed a few things over the years and made it "my own" after having prepared it for at least 40 years. You'll need a deep skillet for this one.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Heinz 57 steak sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1In a 3 quart saucepan, heat 2 cups of water on medium heat.
- 2While the water is heating, in a deep (3-inch) cast iron skillet or other large pot, crumble the ground chuck. Stirring and breaking up the meat, cook over medium high heat until no longer pink. Remove the meat from the skillet and drain the fat; set meat aside.
- 3Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to skillet and heat over medium heat. To the oil, add onion, bell pepper, and celery. Cook and stir the vegetables until softened, then add the minced garlic cloves and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- 4Add the meat to the vegetables, the two cups of hot water, and the rest of the ingredients, except the macaroni.
- 5Let sauce cook for 30-40 minutes, adding additional water, if needed.
- 6While the sauce simmers, refill the saucepan with water and cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain macaroni and add to meat/sauce mixture and stir.
- 7Serve with warm, crusty homemade or French bread.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Texas Goulash
Serving Size: 1 (329 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 379.1
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 73.7 mg
- Sodium 1281.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 27.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Heinz 57 steak sauce