Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
This recipe is from "Southern Living" magazine, January 2006. Excellent cornread! Delicious!
- 236.59 ml yellow cornmeal
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 295.73 ml buttermilk
- 59.14 ml butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- Combine first 5 ingredients; make a well in center. Stir together buttermilk, butter, and egg. Add to flour mixture, stirring until just moistened.
- Heat cast-iron cornstick pans in a 450 degree oven 5 minutes or until hot. Remove pans from oven, and brush lightly with oil. Spoon batter evenly into hot pans.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans immediately; cool slightly on wire racks.
My husband and declared these the BEST and most authentic cornbread sticks he's found yet. And being raised in Texas that's a great review as we've tried a LOT of cornbread stick recipes and he's not been happy until now. Not sweet, but that crunchy cornbread texture that goes so well with soups and stews. I'm willing to bet this is the last recipe we'll try
This was an excellent recipe. I will be using this from now on. Thanks for posting.
WOW! This is the first timed I've tried cornsticks. Had them a lot when I was a kid, but I guess they went 'out of vogue'? Anyway, they turned out pretty as well as easy to prepare AND tasty! Thanks SouthernBelle,for sharing this recipe! Hubby LOVED them - and ate 3 as well as reminding me to be sure and wrap up the rest!!!!!