Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This came from what most likely is the strangest cookbook purchase I've ever made--attached to a carton of Marlborough cigarettes, sometime in the 1970's, I think it was. CHUCKWAGON COOKING FROM MARLBORO COUNTRY. I bought the carton of cigarettes (I'm a NON-SMOKER) just to get the recipes! When I prepare this chili for my family, we serve it with crackers, Fritos, green and black olives, slices of apples and cheese.
- 3 lbs ground chuck
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup white cornmeal (optional)
- Brown meat in a large skillet or Dutch oven.
- Add seasonings and water.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Skim off fat.
- Stir in cornmeal, uncover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Serve with pinto beans and cornbread(you may even add 2 15 oz. cans drained and rinsed pinto or kidney beans, if you wish. It adds 4 servings to the quantity given below.).
- This tastes even better the next day! Leftovers can be used to make chili dogs; or place on a plate a layer of Tostitos, a layer of chili, then layer the following for a delicious, quick dinner salad: lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, chopped tomatoes. Serve with dollop of sour cream and picante sauce on the side.