Top Review by Boxerwing
A great basic chili. I added a little more "heat" by adding some jalapenos and some cayenne at the beginning and a few drops of tabasco at the end. I also dredged the beef in flour before browning and had a decently thick chili at the end. I found proportions of meat to veggies to beans perfect for me.
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 lbs boneless beef cubes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon and drain on paper towel.
- Brown half the beef cubes in pan with bacon drippings five minutes.
- Place in slow cooker.
- Repeat with remaining meat. Stir bacon and remaining ingredients into 3 1/2 quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low setting about 10 hours or until beef is tender.
- Stir occasionally.
- If you don't have a slow cooker place in large pot, cover, place on stove under low heat and follow directions above.